April 2020 Subscription Concerts to be cancelled
As part of the measures to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus infection, the NHK Symphony Orchestra will, with regret, call off the April subscription concerts (all 6 concerts in 3 programs). We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause to those who have been looking forward to the performances, but we ask for your kind understanding.
Tickets for the concerts will be refunded, so please keep the ticket/s you have purchased safe. As for how to receive the refund, either N-kyo guide or the ticket agency where you purchased the ticket/s will be contacting you around mid-April.
TInitially we planned to perform a concert on the first day of each program without an audience taking all possible preventive measures against the infection, with live broadcast on NHK FM and recording for television for deferred broadcast. However, as the coronavirus has continued to spread, we feel further consideration will be needed for the wellbeing and safety of the performers and those who work for the concerts as a precaution against infection, therefore we have decided to cancel the performances.
Thank you for your understanding.
NHK Symphony Orchestra, Tokyo
The 120th and 30th Anniversary of Copland’s Birth and his Death
- Copland / 4 Dance Episodes from “Rodeo,” balletProgram Note (PDF)
- Copland / Quiet CityProgram Note (PDF)
- Copland / A Lincoln Portrait*Program Note (PDF)
- Copland / “Appalachian Spring,” balletProgram Note (PDF)
Keitaro Harada, conductor
Kanji Ishimaru, narratorKanji Ishimaru was born in Ehime Prefecture in 1965. He became familiar with various musical instruments such as piano, trombone and cello in his childhood, and studied saxophone at Tokyo College of Music, and singing at Tokyo University of the Arts. From 1990 to 2007, he was with Shiki Theatrical Company and performed in musicals including the Phantom of the Opera, West Side Story, Beauty and the Beast and Amour. After leaving the company, as an actor at the forefront of Japan’s popular musicals, he played the leading roles in Love Never Dies, Jekyll & Hyde and Parade. He has appeared in television dramas including NHK’s historical drama called Hana Moyu, remains active in music performances and has released solo albums of his own, and together with Takashi Tsunoda, a lute player, released an album titled Takemitsu Songs. He is also closely involved in classical music, acting as a narrator for Stravinsky’s L’Histoire du soldat and Grieg’s Peer Gynt, and since 2017, he has been hosting a classical music program on television. This is his first appearance in a concert by the NHK Symphony Orchestra.
Tickets go on sale from Sunday, March 1, 2020 / Ticket for subscriber: Wednesday, February 26, 2020
- *E seats are non-reserved seats
- *About Youth tickets (Available at N-Kyo Guide)
- *Subscribers receive a 10% discount (Except E seats / Available at N-Kyo Guide and NHKSO WEB Ticket)
- *For wheelchair-accessible seats, please refer to the N-Kyo Guide
- *Please note that no space is available for concert-goers to wait inside the hall before the doors open.
For further information and subscription application please call N-Kyo Guide at 03-5793-8161
Jump to NHKSO WEB Ticket (Accesible from Japan only)
- *Repertoire, conductor, soloists and program order are subject to change without notice.
- *Pre-school children are not allowed in the concert hall